Sunday, February 13, 2005

Books by bell hooks

bell hooks is an African-American feminist writer, educator and theorist. Some of my favorites among her excellent works include:

 Feminist Theory: From Margin to Center (descriptive Amazon entry on hooks' Feminist Theory) which is a great book for exploring feminism and other aspects of movements challenging the various modes of oppression. I would put this on my list of 5 most essential activist books.

 At Saturday's meet, I mentioned The will to change: men, masculinity, and love (descriptive Amazon entry on hooks' Will to Change). I strongly recommend it, especially for men (although women will find it interesting too). The book addresses a lot about the divide that patriarchy creates between men and health emotions, including love. It's identifies some excellent reasons why it is in the best interests of men to challenge (and hopefully contribute to the eradication of) patriarchy.
, , , , , , , .

No comments: